Tuesday, January 19

"Only Love Can Drive Out Hate" - MLK, Jr.


So this is a day late, but still consistent with the message. Did that make sense? Yeah, I didn't think so, but bare with me.


Yesterday was Martin Luther King Day. I was at work, but I really got to thinkin' (sorry, Texan here) about what MLK wanted to accomplish. What was his goal?

He spoke in front of thousands, he's famous for his boldness to stand against discourse, and yet what did he pray for? How did he want God to use him? Of course he made history for the Civil Rights Movement, but was that his ultimate goal?

I wish I could have lived during that era. I wonder what my opinion would have been. Would I be as open to MLK's teachings as I've been taught to be my whole life? Would I look up to him? Would I support his message? Would I protest against it? Surely not....right? I'd like to hope not. My parents raised me right, and I'd like to hope the same would be the case back then. I can't speak for my life back before I was alive.

Because that makes sense..? ........?...?

Moving on...


What I do know is that MLK stood for a lot. Other than the obvious, I think he represented something different for a lot of people. His boldness has been a motivator for others choosing to stand up for what they believe in.

His articulation stood against many of the stereotypes for African Americans of his day. The very fact that he could draw such a gigantic audience and influence the masses (of all colors) spoke volumes. God used him in ways I'll never even know about, and in ways we all know about.

What I know most of all though, is the very thing that set MLK apart from anyone else in the Civil Rights Movement - he spoke with love. He had to walk a fine line of influence. Here he was trying to speak out against something so many people deemed acceptable, and yet he had to be loving about it. Why? Because his message was about love and acceptance. He had to explain to people that it was okay to stand against something in love. He didn't just tell them how, he did it himself. He didn't accept inequality, and yet he had to be loving about his approach.

Like I said earlier, I think MLK was able to speak to people on an individual basis. When Martin Luther King Day rolls around, I am reminded of how much persecution he went through, and yet how much love he showed. He didn't try to stir up violent protests. He didn't encourage people to fight back physically. He encouraged them to be strong in spirit, and to have faith in God to handle the situation. Now that's something I can carry with me in day-to-day life!

And here it is, folks. This is by far one of my favorite quotes.


What more is there to say?

Happy Martin Luther King Day - a little late!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment