Saturday, January 2

Cheesy Spinach Quiche


This recipe is cheesy, delicious, and filling, while packed with iron, fiber and protein! A perfect example of why certain foods were designed to be enjoyed!


The first few pictures are small, but have no fear (Underdog is here...ok not really) -- they will get larger!
You'll need fresh or frozen spinach, 4 eggs, some seasonings (I used thyme, salt, & pepper this time), some diced onion, about a 1/2 c of grated cheese and milk. Rice milk is optional; use whatever kind of milk you normally use.



Add your eggs and milk to the blender and blend until just blended. You can whisk this by hand or with an electric mixer, but you need to blend it until you've got the bubbles going.

The bubbles with ensure a fluffier quiche, and we want our quiches fluffy!


Dice up about 1/4 of an onion! If you aren't a huge fan of onions, you can do even less.


Toss your onions in the evoo. Rachel Ray would be so proud of my "evoo" terminology! I should get props for saying that. I should get financial props... (that's your cue to contact her).



Now is the time to add your spinach to the pan. I think fresh spinach works best, but I used frozen this time since that's what I had.

The key here is to just adjust according to what you've got on hand. If you don't have onions, so be it!

If you're using fresh spinach, just toss in a couple handfuls and let it wilt down until it looks about like the picture above. Add more as needed.


Now here's an area you can ignore if you so choose. Since I avoid enriched flour like the plague, I don't like to use the store bought pie crusts. Obviously this is my issue and not yours, so please feel free to use a store bought crust.


I've been told they make whole grain store bought crusts, but I've yet to see them. DARN YOU WALMART!


Until I do find those little treasures, I just use this SUPER EASY brown rice crust. it does the job and I promise it's incredibly delish!

The recipe for that is at the bottom.


Look, normal sized pictures! Ok, well take your grated cheese and cover the bottom of your "crust".
I say "crust" because some people don't consider my brown rice crust to be actual crust....but I do so *pthhhhww!!!* Obviously a touchy subject....I'll save the drama for a therapist.


Cheeeeeeese. Yummy, salty, grated, greasy when cooked, delectible, yummy, gooey, yummy cheese. Did I mention it's yummy? Oh, and it's so tasty too!!


Add the spinach and onion mixture on top of the cheese. We're just layering stuff now.



Head back over to your blender. If your mixture is anything like mine, it might look a little separated by now.
Just blend it up again for a few seconds until it looks back to normal, and then pour on top of your spinach, cheese, onion, brown rice CRUST stuff.
Mine was just enough to fill 'er up, but if you have too much, feel free not to use it all. Also, if it seems really full (almost oozing over the top -- sorry oozing sounds gross in relation to food), then just place this sucker on top of a cookie sheet.


So we've got everything layered and the egg mixture sucking it all up. This is good. This is what we want. And the bubbles are a good thing. Martha Stewart agrees; she likes good things.
325 for 25-30 minutes and this is what you'll get....(uh, keep scrolling, silly!)


A nice brown and flaky crust...Key word being, "CRUST". Sorry, I'll stop that now.
But it's healthy and filled with spinach. Spinach may repulse some people, but I'm here to say that anything mixed with cheese is fullfilling in every way. I mean every way! I think I could add spinach to an open wound and I'd be healed.
The spinach is PACKED with fiber, iron and vitamins (vitameatavegamins perhaps?), and the cheese will add protein. I mean really, cheese is not the enemy! Cheese is good for us too! It really is.
And I promise, there is nothing light of diety tasting about this.
I count calories. I am obsessed with trying to eat healthy, but I can't stand diet food!! Forget rice cakes, give me some peanut butter and apples! Mmmm k, another rant for another time!

Recipe: Cheesy Spinach Quiche

Ingredients:
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2C Spinach (fresh or frozen)
  • 1/4C grated cheese (I like white cheddar, but it's all good)
  • 3/4C milk
  • 1/4 onion (optional)
Directions:

Preheat oven to 350.
  1. Add eggs and milk to a blender, or whisk by hand until mixture has bubbles; set aside.
  2. If you're using any diced onion, saute it in a skillet with the fresh spinach. (If you are like me and decide to use frozen spinach, just make sure you drain as much water out of it as possible. Once drained, add the spinach to the skillet with your onions. The fresh spinach can be added right into the pan. )
  3. Top your pie crust with grated cheese.
  4. Add the spinach/onion mixture on top of the cheese.
  5. Pour your egg mixture over all this cheesy green goodness.
  6. Pop in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the middle is set or a toothpick comes out clean.

Recipe: Brown rice crust

Ingredients:
  • 2C cooked brown rice
  • 1 egg

Directions:
  1. Mix both ingredients together until well combined.
  2. Spray/rub a pie plate with oil and press mixture into plate.

~
Enjoy
~
~ TheCrazyApron






























1 Comments:

Jaclyn Trecartin said...

Thanks for posting this! I appreciate all the pictures! I made my version of this tonight and posted it on my blog (linking to your blog and post).

http://positiveponderings.blogspot.com/2011/06/healthy-quiche.html

Post a Comment